The 4 channel I2C multiplexer gives you the ability to connect up to four I2C devices that use the same address. The multiplexer also acts as a level translating device between the Master and Slave devices.
The board comes pre-wired to be used with 5V and 3.3V devices. Since the active low interrupt pins can not be left floating, the board contains onboard 10k ohm pull-up resistors on the interrupt pins. If a lower voltage Slave device is used that uses the interrupt pin, the associated solder jumper trace will need to be cut and a separate pull-up resistor on the interrupt pin will need to be used.
Supply voltage to the VDD pin needs to be set to the lowest voltage IO lines in the system. As an example, if you are using a 5V microcontroller as a Master and several 3.3V Slave devices then the VDD pin needs to be tied to 3.3 volts.
- 1-of-4 bidirectional translating multiplexer
- I2C-bus interface logic; compatible with SMBus
- 4 active LOW interrupt inputs
- Active LOW interrupt output
- 3 address pins allowing up to 8 devices on the I2C-bus
- Channel selection via I2C-bus
- Power-up with all multiplexer channels deselected
- 0 Hz to 400 kHz clock frequency
- Allows voltage level translation between 1.8 V, 2.5 V, 3.3 V and 5 V buses